Sunday, September 20, 2009

Mammoth Cave, Utah

So our Sunday adventure took us up the mountain to the amazing Mammoth Cave. A natural geologic wonder, the caves were created from thousands of years old molten lava that I guess had natural air-pockets in and formed these amazing caves that are safe to walk through. With only 1 flash-light between the 3 of us, it really wasn't enough light to see where you were walking so I opted out after the first couple minutes in pitch darkness.... a pitch black, quarter mile trek below the ground in thousands of years old lava caves that are home to 7 species of bats is something that i'm not afraid to admit that I'm a chicken to do, lol.... Alfredo & Owen however were more than game to stumble round
the rocks in the dark and Owen had a blast. The exit to the caves is really small and Alfredo had to make like a contortionist to squeeze through the small opening at the end. Both had a great time and said I would have loved it had i gone down... next time I'm ging to find the biggest, brightest flash-light available and overcome my fear of those scary bats and do it!... for now, I just enjoyed the view of the surrounding mountains and the warm sun on my face while I waited for them to 'surface'. We had a picnic and then drove the loop-road back home via the ski-resort, so it made for a really nice Sunday trip.






1 comment:

  1. I work for Cedar City ~ Brian Head Tourism Bureau and we are redoing our website (www.ScenicSouthernUtah.com) and I was hoping I could get your permission to use your photos of Mammoth Cave. If we could use your photo could you please email them and your permission to: abennett@ironcounty.net.

    ReplyDelete

My Favourites..

Followers